USPS, You’re Doing It Wrong

Rain Soaked Wet USPS Package

Click to Enlarge

Like many of you, I order a lot of stuff online. I’m a big fan of services like amazon, newegg, and ebay because I can get stuff on the cheap. Sometimes I order things and they get shipped in insanely huge boxes, but no harm really comes of that. I read the in August that the United States Postal Service is going through some tough economic times, and is looking to make some cuts. Well USPS, it’s service like this that makes that news no surprise.

It rained pretty much all day yesterday. My bike ride into work was a wet one, and at times throughout the day it was coming down pretty hard. By the time I left for home at 4:00pm, it was still pretty wet out and misting a little. I got home to find some packages had been delivered. At first glance, it looks like a poor job putting the package in the mailbox.

Wet Mail from the USPS

Click to Enlarge

Upon closer inspection it appears the mailman created a clever rain catcher to collect as much water as possible inside the mailbox. Great technique for outdoor survival, not so much for delivering mail. Mail often contains important documents, electronics, or photos, none of which should be wet. That’s why I have a mailbox. That’s also why I have a side door and an easily accessible and visible shed. At any rate there was another package inside the mailbox, this was also soaked through.

UPS, Doing it Right

How it's done. Click to enlarge.

The same day I got a package delivered from UPS, who is doing it right. This little bag can’t cost them very much, it is extremely thin, but for the purpose of keeping something dry for a few hours, it works great. It’s service like this that will make me think twice before sending anything of value through the mail. Fortunately the things in the mailbox were clothing, but still, had they been books or electronics, it would have been a major first world problem/headache. United States Postal Service, if you’re reading this, please invest in some bags. Or instruct your workers to not do this. I want to like you, I really do. You’ve always been there, but if you keep this up, our relationship isn’t going to last.

For those wondering, I’ve added a “Packages Around Back” note in my mailbox. I hope it works next time it’s raining.

UPDATE:
This arrived yesterday from UPS. I don’t even know what to think.

UPS Hidden Package

Click to Enlarge

Tags:

11 Responses to “USPS, You’re Doing It Wrong”

• Keyuri Joshi says:

I feel your pain! It really shouldn’t take much to “think” and apply a common sense strategy to one’s job. It’s the “little things” that make or break relationships and your advice to the USPS is spot on. A few lessons fron UPS leadership could go a long way. Good customer service that is thoughtful makes a difference for all of us.

• Catarina says:

That’s the kind of thing that unfortunately happens once in a while. Always have and always will. Annonying and it shouldn’t happen I know, but the best thing is to not let it get to you. You haven’t after all got diagnosed with a fatal disease, lost all your money or your wife left you.:-)

• Lanre says:

Loosing just one customer could lead to the loss of a lot more. You seem to be better at the job than they are. I guess it’s because of your applied common sense. Nice post.

• Hi, this article ia a must show to all these service providers because it will help them like a feedback where they can and should improve on these things.

• Makes me glad I live in an apartment building with a doorman. I agree, UPS or the Post Office or any delivery service shouldn’t just leave a package at the door. The elements could ruin a package — or it could be swiped, perhaps even a bigger worry if the package contains merchandise of real value.

• Susan Oakes says:

It can be annoying when this happens and often our post office doesn’t leave packages if it is raining. Instead they leave a card so you can pick it up.

• Janine says:

Ah I see the good old package delivery issues are the same worldwide!

• I must be one of the lucky ones. I absolutely love my post-woman. She’s both friendly and efficient. Whenever something doesn’t fit in our box, she delivers it to the door and if it’s raining, she protects it. Maybe it’s a benefit of living in a small rural town.

• I reposted to my blog that I’ve put together while on hold with USPS, hope that’s ok!

• Old Port Jingles says:

No problem. Thanks for reading. Are you going to keep your site going?

• Going to try to keep it going! Getting my feet inio the blogging world. BTW- I love your company name T 🙂

Are you a business owner without a jingle? Let us make the song that's just what your company needs. Radio advertising with a business jingle from Old Port Jingles may be just what your next marketing campaign needs.

When you are ready to take your business to the next level, a viral video production can be just what you need. Let Old Port Jingles produce the song that will spread on the internet like wildfire! Start your next viral marketing campagin today.

Have you ever wanted a special song for a birthday, retirement, or graduation? Now you can have a song for any occasion with Old Port Jingles. From serious to comedy to educational let us make your custom song just right for you!